[AMRadio] Johnson viking 2..

Geoff/W5OMR w5omr at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Wed Jul 28 11:09:48 EDT 2004

> What is the procedure for applying AC power to Johnson Viking 2 Transmitter
> that has been in storage for many years?..Tnx es 73's Ron

The best way, of course, would be to replace the capacitors.  But...

Grab a VariAC, connect a Current meter in series, bring the voltage up to around
25VAC, and if there's no current being drawn through the meter, then let it sit
for
24 hours. (when I say 'current', I don't mean that it's sitting at 25v, drawing
4amps...
obviously something is wrong there - it should remain under 1amp, even up to
full AC)

if all is well, crank up the voltage to 50v and let it sit for another 24
hours...

this slow voltage increase will help 're-form' the capacitors, at the same time.

another 25v would put it at 75 - keep watching the current meter, and then up to
100.  All should be fine.

You could probably alter the times... but I'd not use less than 12 hours, for
each step.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR