Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Sat Jul 31 09:41:47 EDT 2004

Byron,

I've some experience at this.  Problems I've seen:

-  Dry/congealed lubricant in the VFO bandswitch shaft bushing (ANY
friction in the VFO switch will stop the mechanism cold)
-  Imperfect machining of the drive cam, making the pins bind up instead
of passing through
-  Height/depth of the drive cam set wrong
-  Drive arm too far away or too close to the drive cam
-  Registration off (e.g. VFO set for 11 meters when the rest of the
bandswitch isn't).  The VFO switch has three positions:  160, 80 thru
10, and 11.
-  Broken VFO switch (God forbid)

Is your problem any of these?  I have a Ranger assembly manual that
contains the complete set-up procedure for this, but lets try to
eliminate the obvious first.  Your problem is solvable so long as
nothing is broken

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ

ps:  Have any of you ever seen one of the Johnson assembly manuals?  How
anyone ever managed to assemble a Ranger or a Valiant with this
information is beyond me.