[AMRadio] Phone band expansion

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Fri Jun 11 06:19:00 EDT 2004

Hi Don,
It's great to hear from you again and to consider your
expansion proposal.

I don't think this will fly. There is a rapid expansion taking
place in the digital sub-bands below 3700 kHz and there
are still many CW ops using the spectrum around 3700 to 3725

ARRL is VERY interested in promoting digital modes. Sadly the
main one they are promoting is (in my opinion) very expensive,
wasteful and inefficient. The unattended Pactor robot stations
are ruining the CW and digital sub bands on 40m, 30m and 20m
and they threaten to do the same on 80m too.

I seriously doubt that ARRL will promote additional phone
expansion on 75m, even though it could well be argued that we
need it. I suppose the CW and digital ops could all move down,
but I can see both sides of the argument for adding 25 kc.
versus 50 kc. to the phone band. Since I enjoy all the modes
I probably don't feel as strongly about this as you do.
Even more so since QRN makes 80m and 160m virtually unusable
for 8 months out of the year here in Florida.

I wish we could get the broadcasters off 7100-7300 kc.
How many decades will THAT take?!

73 from your friend - AF4K