[AMRadio] Tower Construction

Jim Wilhite w5jo at brightok.net
Sun Jun 13 17:56:41 EDT 2004

Dave:

The G series towers weren't designed for self supporting installations.  I
looked at the Rohn site and it does not mention that parameter.
http://www.rohnnet.net/rohnnet2004/html2004/index.html

If you need a self supporting installation, might I suggest an HBX or HDBX.
Rohn sold the H series towers to another company and I think this is it.
http://www.trylon.com/home2.asp

They are very sturdy and in all my years in commercial radio never saw one
come down under design load conditions.  At this next site is a bit of
advertising showing the tower but it says Rohn still makes it.
http://www.gsantenna.com/tower.htm ,
which I know is not correct.  If nothing else, call Rohn and they will
direct you to the manufacturer.  I see used HBX at hamfests all the time for
very reasonable prices, in fact one sold at Belton recently for about 100
dollars.  It was the 40 ft. version, but one can buy additional sections to
extend if needed.  Most people do not know how good they are, therefore do
not buy them.

73  Jim
de W5JO