[AMRadio] Thordarson Transformer ID

B. Morgan Sherrod w5ami at tcworks.net
Tue May 25 12:54:51 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Knepper" <cra at floodcity.net>
To: "Discussion of AM Radio" <amradio at mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Tuesday, May 25, 2004 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [AMRadio] Thordarson Transformer ID

>   Yes, that is the exact physical size.
>   Any more particulars like size, etc.
>
>   I could probably match the size with the voltage output.

This unit is a model T-15P2 1690 watts.  I can't find it in my old catalog.  Also it is called a "Multi Volt" for
various outputs.  I also discovered it can run either 120 or 220 volts by moving a tap on the primary side.  It is about
12" long, 7.5" wide and 9" tall.  Probably weighs about 90 to 100 lbs.  Feels like more with my aching back.

Preston Gaddis who originally owned the Bartlesville Kilowatt ran a pair of 304TL's, among a few other varieties.
According to log entries, etc., his output was in the KW range, so I suspect he ran around 2800 - 3000vdc on the plates
using this transformer.

I thought I had the specs on this thing, but can't seem to remember where I saw them.  Maybe someone on the list has
them.

As mentioned by someone else, it would be easy enough to determine the output with some test voltage, however the "Multi
Volt" taps might be difficult to decipher!

Brian/w5ami