[AMRadio] 813 tx

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Mon Nov 1 12:07:59 EST 2004

Chris,

    What was REALLY surprising is that the dummy load was a Heath Cantenna!

    The radio was grounded, and so was the coax.  That would make one
"think" that the dummy WOULD be grounded.

    That particulat QTH showed me some WEIRD effects dealing with
grounding.  I had a dipole up around 75 feet or more.  Big 120ft Oak
trees helped a LOT!

    I put up a new dipole and new RG-213 feedline.  Strange thing was
that the VSWR was horrible when all the way up.  The final solution was
a run of #12 AWG insulated wire run from the station ground and attached
to the balun, run exactly parallel to the RG-213.  The VSWR dropped flat.

    I was relocated by the military to Missouri, and erected the same
antenna.  There I found that the #12 WASN'T necessary!  Talk about WEIRD!.

Bob - N0DGN

--
<                      Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
|  SP-600/NR Type 159, Heath DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                  Meade ETX-60 (Got it back!)                     |
|               38 Deg 46.8' N - 77 Deg 28.5' W                    |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |