[AMRadio] 144 Mhz. AM

Brian Carling bcarling at cfl.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 07:06:43 EST 2004

It is reported that there ARE a few other 144 MHz AM groupos
around the country.
You might ought to try posting a notice in the Free Classified ads
online,
and ESPECIALLY in th eback of Electric Radio Mag too.
Their ads are free up to 20 words I think, for subscribers and
a VERY useful way to contact other AM ops.

Many of the O.T.s are not on the internet but they read E.R.

On 2 Nov 2004 at 5:55, Byron Tatum wrote:

> Hello-
>     I am getting my 2 meter antenna system back up and running. One thing I have played around with is surplus FAA AM gear that can be operated on 144.400 Mhz. Although I made only pre-arranged contacts in the past I was curious if there are any reports of 144 Mhz. activity in the Houston, TX. area ?
>     I have crystalled up several different pieces of equipment on the AM calling freq. of 144.400 Mhz. I have heard that this calling freq. cannot be used in some area due to interference from other modes. I guess I will find out soon but I thought I would ask.
>     Right now I am working on a surplus FAA airband transceiver, it is solid state and crystal controlled, but appears will do nicely for 144 AM. Hate to invest in crystals I can't use! This unit is the TRX-102, a 1972 era design that has a good sensitive receiver and about 5-7 watts out.If others are interested I have written down the conversion info.
>     I do have a few nice tube-type 50 watt plate modulated AM transmitters that cover 144 Mhz easily, these are the TV-6. They have a 4X150 final modulated by a pair of 6146's. These units are beautifully built with all sealed transformers, about 3' tall rackmount, about 130 lbs. I have one set up on 144.400 that easily puts out 50 watts of nice sounding AM. I believe I have 2 or 3 checked out and wrapped up in protective coverings in my shop.Have a full manual for it too.Have an extra tube-type receiver {RV-
12} that does fairly well when crystalled and tuned on 144 Mhz.