[AMRadio] Numbers Stations - NPRs slant

Alan Cohen acohen at texas.net
Sat Nov 13 09:02:03 EST 2004

It seems to me that the cult existed long before NPR ever reported it.
They certainly were not the ones who released a CD of number stations,
nor were they the folks on both sides of the Atlantic who bought the
the things.  As noted here by others, people have spent many hours
logging the stations and writing about them.
As a boy, I remember reading Tom Kneitel's articles about them in
Electronics Illustrated.  Conspiracy theories about the things have
been around for years.

  So yeah, I would say that there was a cult of people who were into
numbers stations.  It was interesting to learn that there are people
out there still discovering them.

Hats off to NPR for doing good radio!

Who knows?  Perhaps some people out there found that report on number
stations interesting enough to buy a shortwave radio.  A few may even
find their way into our hobby.

In any case, it is certainly a lot more interesting than the usual
radio fare.  It sure beats the likes of morning drive blatherers like
Howard Stern and Don Imus, the right wing echo chamber of Limbaugh and
Hanity, the semi-automatic no-personality bad music juke boxes that
populate the FM band, and 99% of the other garbage on commercial radio
these days.

Alan Cohen
WA2DZL