[AMRadio] Numbers Stations - NPRs slant

Jim Isbell jim.isbell at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 11:13:49 EST 2004

Speaking of cults.  did you ever hear of the cult of folks that
communicated over the telephone on a bussy signal?  I tried it once
and it worked!!

I cant remember just how it worked but I think you called a number
that was bussy and then you listened between the beeps for the voice
of another person.  The other person had also called the busy number
and the two of you were then connected and could chat between the
beeps.  That may not be exact, its been 10 years since I tried it.

What I never figured out was how the other person knew what number to
call,  maybe it didnt matter as long as you got a busy signal. It was
sort of like a blind CQ, you never knew who you would get, just some
mysterious voice that appeared between the beeps.

I dont know if it still works or not.

JimIsbell
W5JAI
UV #257