[AMRadio] Numbers Stations - NPRs slant

SBJohnston at aol.com SBJohnston at aol.com
Sat Nov 13 12:13:55 EST 2004

Jim wrote:

> I cant remember just how it worked but I think you called a number
> that was bussy and then you listened between the beeps for the voice
> of another person.

That trick relies upon there being a poorly designed or damaged "busy trunk"
device at the phone co central office.  All the busy calls were terminated
into one unit that put out the busy signal tones, and if it had enough cross-talk
among the incoming lines the callers could hear each other.

Steve WD8DAS

sbjohnston at aol.com
http://www.qsl.net/wd8das