[AMRadio] Numbers Stations - NPRs slant

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:07:03 EST 2004

>    Funny how NPR and the liberal media freaks mentioned in the story can
>take
>something like a UTE such as a number station and turn it in to a cult!  I
>remember when I actually liked listening to NPR. Even 'A Prarie Home
>Companion'
>has gone sour like a bad compost heap. Bummer.

I don't get your bashing of NPR for their coverage of this story.  They just
reported an oddball cult following that has apparently developed from a
couple of shortwave enthusiasts in UK who were intrigued by numbers
stations.  I don't think NPR had anything to do with this phenomenon other
than produce a story on it.  I found it interesting, since I  have been
familar with the numbers stations for decades.  It is rare that the
mainstream media beyond speciality publications devoted to radio hobbyists
ever gives any coverage whatsoever to this decades-old mystery.

I don't see how it is remotely possible that anyone could make any kind of
political issue over this story.

Geesh!

Don K4KYV