[AMRadio] NPR, one solution for lousy radio

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 13 18:26:15 EST 2004

>I've gone so far as to build a part 15 transmitter so I can listen to
>streaming internet stations on my old radios.

I have been looking for something that puts a stable, full fidelity stereo
signal on the FM band so I can retransmit streaming audio throughout the
house and pick it up on any of the FM radios.  Preferably, frequency
synthesised with crystal controlled clock oscillator.

Someone told me about an excellent kit made in England, but when I checked
on it, the cost of shipping it from UK was almost as much as the kit itself.
  Last time I checked, Ramsey Electronics had a kit also.

Has anyone tried the Ramsey kit, or know of any other fairly inexpensive
unit (< $100)?

It's getting so there is more stuff available over the computer than on the
shortwave bands, but right now I have to be in the room with the computer to
listen.  I'd like to be able to enjoy these stations the same as over the
air stations.

I'm surprised the computer manufacturers aren't making something for this
specific purpose, under Part 15 regs.  I have seen tiny transmitters
designed to replay handheld units through a big stereo, but according to the
ads, their range is limited to about 10 feet.  I need something that covers
a radius of  a couple hundred feet.

Don K4KYV