[AMRadio] Numbers Stations - NPRs slant

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 14 02:18:47 EST 2004

>I used to be a phone phreak in my younger days back when the blue box (for
>free long distance called) used to work.
>
>The coin sounds in a payphone is called a red box. Doesn't work on COCOT
>(customer owned) payphones because the dialtone you hear is not from Ma
>Bell's line but generated by the phone.

A young entrepreneur named Steve Jobs and a friend started out manufacturing
blue boxes as a garage enterprise.  After they accumulated some capital,
they decided to go legitimate, and switched to producing a very crude and
primitive (by today's standards) computer.  That product is what got the
personal computer revolution started.  They named their company APPLE
COMPUTER.