[AMRadio] Dayton Hamvention 2005

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 17 20:03:30 EST 2004

The original date for Dayton was the 3rd weekend in April.  It might have
been snowed on and was often unseasonably cold, but it hardly ever got
rained out.  I  remember in the mid 70's one of their brochures promoting
the hamfest made it a point to claim that in 22 years, it had been rained
out only twice.

Then some genius decided to move the event to one week later, the last
weekend in April.  Almost every year after that, it got rained out.  I think
in was something like five rainouts in seven years.   I attended several
years in a row in the midst of rain, and each time the locals said that the
week before the weather had been dry, and would have been a good weekend for
the hamfest.

Finally, they moved it to mid-May.  The weather has been wamer, but it still
seems to  get rained out more often than at the old date of the 3rd weekend
in April.

Don K4KYV