[AMRadio] AM Usage with Linear AMPS

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Nov 22 22:23:06 EST 2004

Brian,

What he is saying is: you need to have the 811A tuned up at 200 watts
output on cw or pep for a 50 watt carrier out. (pep is 4 times carrier)

When you tune up you tune it for max output at the 200 watt level with
full drive. At that tune setting the tube will be around 60% efficient.
Normal ssb or cw operation tune-up. input power will be 333 watts. The
tube will be dissipating 133 watts in heat at full carrier.

You then reduce the drive until you have 50 watts out (1/4 the carrier
of full output). You can not retune at this point or it will not handle
the peak envelope power of 4 times carrier. At 50 watts out the
efficiency drops to around 30%. So that means to get the 50 watts out
the tube has to be running around 150 watts input. 150 watts minus the
50 watts output leaves 100 watts to dissipate in heat in the plate as
long as the carrier is on.

It doesn't get any better either. With modulation the dissipation does
not decrease even though the efficiency increases at the peak power
levels. The carrier power is still there 100% of the time at 30%
efficiency. The audio is in the form of separate side bands that is
additional power that the tube has to handle.

I guarantee you that an 811A will run with a red plate under these
conditions. If it is not red then it is not tuned up properly for this
mode of operation at the 50 watt carrier out level.

73
Gary  K4FMX