[AMRadio] AM Usage with Linear AMPS

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 23 17:43:19 EST 2004

>It doesn't get any better either. With modulation the dissipation does not
>decrease even though the efficiency increases at the peak power levels. The
>carrier power is still there 100% of the time at 30% efficiency. The audio
>is in the form of separate side bands that is additional power that the
>tube has to handle.

Actually, it should get better.  A properly operating amplifier with  low
level modulation, linear or grid modualted, should run a steady carrier
output  level and a  constant DC input level, regardless of modulation.  For
the sake of discussion, let us assume 100 watts carrier output.  The DC
input will be about 300 watts @ roughly 30@ efficiency.  With no modulation
present, we have 300 watts input with 100 watts output.  That leaves 200
watts dissipated in the tube plates.  Now let's modulate 100% with a
sinewave tone.  The average rf power output will now be 150 watts, 100 watts
carrier power plus 50 watts average sideband power.  The DC input is still
300 watts, so the tubes are now dissipating only 150 watts as opposed to 200
watts with no modulation.  The overall efficiency of the amplifier rises
from 30% to 50%.  If the tube plates are showing a glow, they should
actually dim a little with modulation.

Of course, the instantaneous efficiency is constantly varying over each
cycle of the envelope waveform,  from 0% at no output, to approximately 60%
at maximum peak output capability of the amplifier.  But it is AVERAGE power
that determines how red the tube plates get, how loud the signal sounds over
the air, and how much interference the signal produces.  That is why the
FCC's method of determining power output by p.e.p. is bogus.

Don K4KYV