[AMRadio] BPL in Texas - from Houston Chronicle.com

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Nov 29 10:15:54 EST 2004

	On the subject of BPL we may just get it forced down our throats, and have
to live with it. I hope not, but the FCC sure seems to have a big business
agenda, and amateur radio may not be one of them.

      Could BPL actually benefit hams? This sounds ridiculous, but maybe it
could help in a strange sort of way. I am not technically savvy on BPL
transmission protocol, so maybe some of you who are can step in and clarify
this. It seems unlikely to me that BPL can coexist when the power lines have
leaking insulators, poor grounds, and sometimes active arc's that buzz away
24/7. I had severe line noise until about 6 months ago where the QRN was
S9+20+ from 160 thru 40 meters. This really made me angry, and upset at the
power company, TXU. I decided to take matters in my own hands and I
successfully tracked the problem down to the offending pole. See link below:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Pole/Pole.JPG

     After a series of contacts with TXU they finally sent out a crew to the
pole I photographed. They guy kept telling me that he didn't have the
know-how (I think he meant NO priority) to track down interference issues. I
said look, go to that pole, and look up at the wires. You will see several
things wrong, and when you fix them, my interference will go away. He did,
and my QRN was GONE! Poof.

	Now here is my point concerning BPL. IF BPL requires quality transmission
lines, THEN the power company will make it a priority to fix these issues
without a SWL or HAM complaining about power line noise. So what is the
bigger evil:

A. There is a active arc and big time QRN like I experienced

B. BPL over well built and maintained power lines

	I don't know the answer. Does BPL cause spurs up and down the HF spectrum,
or is it a broad band hash that raises the noise floor everywhere? As ham's
a lot of us over the years got used to avoiding harmonics of leaky TV sets
where the 15.75 Khz horizontal sweep would fall across 160 and 80 meter
bands and at times be strong enough to cause us to tune elsewhere. Maybe
some of you who are more competent concerning BPL can step in so that we can
better define the impact to SWL'ing and Ham radio.

	Is BPL immune from interference coming from strong RF fields such as radio
/ TV / Ham / CB stations?

Jim
WD5JKO