[AMRadio] Home brew AM

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Oct 1 22:43:25 EDT 2004

Guys,

    I have accumulated a couple of circuits for series cathode modulation.
One is for a 6146 final, and the other for a 807 final, and both use a sweep
tube or two for the cathode modulator.

	Using this technique for QRO AM at 375 watts carrier output will be pretty
inefficient since the modulator tube will likely be class A. It could be
class D or E switch mode with a good Low pass filter. I believe that some
early KA1SI PDM rigs used some big tubes this way. As for the filament
transformer, a high standoff is really no big deal so long as you wind it
yourself and insulate accordingly. Heck I once made a 208 VAC to 60 VCT at
200 amps where I needed 120 KV insulation primary to secondary. Layers of
Mylar sheet (like shingles) and transformer oil did the trick. Could also
maybe use a ferrite horizontal fly back transformer (custom wound) for the
filament. Why use 60 hertz? Could be 50 Khz so long as the filament is at
the right temperature.

Here is a link to two different cathode modulated AM rigs:

http://pages.prodigy.net/jcandela/Modulator/

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO