[AMRadio] Re: SpaceShip One uses AM

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Wed Oct 6 07:05:30 EDT 2004

Fun fact:  All aviation voice communications is AM, albeit VHF.
SpaceShip One isn't unique.

It's AM because the blocking effect that FM exhibits is considered
unacceptable.  With AM, if two stations interfere you can usually hear
both signals to some degree through the heterodyne.  With FM, one
station would block the other.  The flight safety boffins wouldn't like
that.

SSB of course would be too labor-intensive for aviation service.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ