[AMRadio] Tube Plate Dissipation Ratings

Tom Elmore tom at telmore.com
Thu Oct 7 12:28:28 EDT 2004

     Can someone please clarify for me the plate dissipation ratings on
vacuum tubes.  I am in the process of restoring a Stancor 60N  that uses a
HK24 tube and the dissipation rating is about 25 watts.  Isn't the 25 watt
rating  Ep*Ip and is this a maximum value that should never be exceeded?  I
believe this transmitter will put out 30 to 40 watts of carrier and if it
were say 60 efficient wouldn't that bump up the plate dissipation to around
65 watts exceeding the dissipation ratings.

Thank You
Tom Elmore  KA1NVZ
Anchorage  Alaska