[AMRadio] Tube Plate Dissipation Ratings

John Coleman wa5bxo at pctechref.com
Thu Oct 7 12:58:02 EDT 2004

Plate Dissipation is the energy loss in heat to the plate of a tube.  If Ep
= 1000V and Ip = 100 ma = then the total plate input power is 100 watts.  If
the tube is not doing any output but yet drawing the current then the input
power is all dissipated in heat = 100 watts.  On the other hand if the tube
is delivering 60 watts of carrier to a load or antenna, while consuming the
100 watts input, then the tube is dissipating 40 watts in heat = 60%
efficiency.  Special Class C circuits can reach 90% efficiency.

John, WA5BXO