[AMRadio] B&W 5100B

Jim Candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Mon Oct 11 10:24:39 EDT 2004

Cory,

   I once had a peak responding watt-meter, and you
are correct they are necessary to see the peaks. With
my ultra-modulated Viking I it read 100 watts carrier,
and 400 watts PEP at 100% tone modulation. It also
read 800 watts at 200% + modulation. If I switched to
average mode it read 150 watts at 100% tone
modulation.

   I currently use a Bird wattmeter without the peak
option. It too shows a 50% rise in power at 100% tone
modulation so long as my transmitter has no carrier
shift. A RF amp meter if in line with the RF output
should show a 22.5% rise at 100% tone modulation.

Regards,
Jim