[AMRadio] Mod xmfr

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Tue Oct 12 18:30:47 EDT 2004

Ahh yes. The class-B 813 modulator. Glad to see it!

I'd like to comment about it from an audio standpoint as I have
done this for audio with 807's.

I don't know how tough the 813 control grids are. I would suggest
using some resistors to limit the current to the modulators'
control grids to about 15 mA average (suggested based on the
class C conditions in the tube manual; 20K worked for for 807's
but the drive voltage was much less).

It is really the screen grids that must be driven to get the
plate current up. The peak screen voltage may also be as much as
750 volts (1500 g-g) for the 813 (the same value as the G2 DCV
would be if it were operating AB1).

An old audio output transformer from a tube amplifier makes a
good driver transformer because it will stand the voltage well.

The author might have some suggestions too.

Patrick