[AMRadio] B&W 5100B

Brett gazdzinski Brett.gazdzinski at mci.com
Wed Oct 13 07:44:23 EDT 2004

That's because you are hitting the alc circuit on mod peaks.
You would have to reduce your power output, reduce the audio, or adjust
the alc to a higher value.

I notice the effect on some guys running AM on rice boxes, its often
quite noticeable on the s meter.

That's why most run about 20 watts of carrier or less and go light on the
audio.

My guess would be that adjusting the alc circuit to a higher value will work
good on AM, allowing the tips of the peaks to pass without invoking the alc,
but would degrade ssb service since they use the alc as a compressor.

Power output goes up, so you have to watch out, but most radios have some
extra reserve built in for long rtty or fm transmissions.

It just always rubbed me the wrong way to spend $3000.00 for some modern
wonderbox and get a massive 20 watts out.

Brett
N2DTS