[AMRadio] K1MAN Enforcement and WINLINK

Cory Hine cory_hine at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 16 10:22:51 EDT 2004

It is my understanding that K1MAN stole a radio from a friend of mine a number of years ago. That said, I guess I don't understand this kind of individual. Why does he want to keep up his broadcasting? What is the mentality of this kind of person? I would have gone and done something a lot more productive a long time ago. The ARRL has done this job for years.......

Brian Carling <bcarling at cfl.rr.com> wrote:Interesting story about how the guys are still hounding
K1MAN after all these years, regardless of which side one takes
on the issue. (Only ARRL can "broadcast" I guess!)

On a more serious note though... SInce they are zapping him for
starting up on top of a QSO, I wonder if FCC will go after the
darlings of ARRL: the Unattended robot WINLINK Pactor II and
Pactor II stations that do he SAME THING multiple times every day
on 40m and 20m?

Somehow I doubt it. Same for W1AW sometimes. Although THAT
is far more predicatbvel and not aproblem like the WINLINK
garbage.

= = =

ENFORCEMENT: ONE LAST CHANCE FOR K1MAN

The FCC appears to be giving Glenn Baxter, K1MAN, one final
chance to
strictly conform to the agency's Part 97 rules. This, before taking
action against the Belgrade Lakes, Maine ham. The FCC's Daryl
Duckworth, NN0W, explains:

--

Duckworth: "A warning letter went to Glenn Baxter, K1MAN, of
Belgrade

Copies of the warning notice were also went to the United States
Attorney in the United States Department of Justice, District of
Maine.

This is Daryl Duckworth, NN0W, reporting."

--

In the September 15th Warning Notice the FCC's Riley
Hollingsworth

As to the pecuniary interest allegation, the FCC says that this is
because Baxter's website lists a bulletin service transmission
schedule and items for sale on the same pages. The FCC says
that this
is in violation of Sections 97.113(a)(2)and (3) of its rules.

Hollingsworth ends the letter by saying that failure to correct the
violations will subject Baxter to enforcement action against his
station and operator licenses. Baxter was given twenty days from
the
date the warning notice was issued to resoind. (FCC, RAIN)