[AMRadio] B&W 5100B Progress Update

Tom Elmore tom at telmore.com
Sat Oct 16 21:35:27 EDT 2004

  I finally had time this week to install the Stancor replacement modulation
transformer for my B&W 5100B and have found a set of taps that work on both
the primary and secondary windings. I can make full carrier output of at
least 100 watts but the modulation is only making about 85 to 90 % before it
starts to flatten out on the scope and distort. I have changed both the
modulator and final set of tubes and still get about the same percentage of
modulation. I was hoping to make at least 100% easily.  Someone mentioned
recently that this was a characteristic of this unit and I wonder if it's
power supply limitations or some other factors.

Thank You
Tom Elmore KA1NVZ
Anchorage, Alaska