[AMRadio] Re: B&W 5100B Audio Mods

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Wed Oct 20 12:56:22 EDT 2004

i am not familiar with the 5100B, but I would be VERY surprised if the
screens weren't modulated as well as the plates - it is absolutely necessary
to achieve 100% modulation of tetrode, pentode, or beam-power calss C RF
stages. This is usually done with this class of transmitters (~100W
commercially-manufactured ham AM rigs)with a screen droping resistor from
the modulated plate supply. It can also be done with a dropping resistor
from the unmodulated B+, or an audio choke from a voltage source equal to
the desired screen voltage; in these cases, the screens self-modulate.

GL,
 -Larry/NE1S