[AMRadio] Converting old 1.8-4.0 MHz AM Marine Radios

Rbethman rbethman at comcast.net
Fri Sep 10 15:03:57 EDT 2004

Well, Jim is a VERY good friend of mine.

That said, I'd be interested in a small number of these radios.

So tell him to get that container open, and let's get them out to see
light of day.  You never know how many will go!

Bob - N0DGN

James M. Walker wrote:

>Mark,
>As for my ideas, NOTHING is absolutely perfect in radio or anything
>else.
>Having said that, I think that with a judicious cross section of ideas
>the units you describe could be resurrected in a reasonable way, to A)
>get them back into operation, and B) convert them to usable range for
>160 work. YES, they are old technology, but they can be improved, any
>piece of equipment can be improved for the owner/operator it just takes
>little effort, some modifications that will make it work to your, and
>also
>others standards of "Quality".
>
>I say, talk to your friend, see if he wants to recirculate the equipment
>if so then get a list and post it so folks that WANT to give it a shot
>can make the necessary arrangements with him. As I can't even imagine
>having
>all that equipment end up in a land-fill somewhere because it didn't
>meet
>the specs for todays operations. Especially since we have such a large
>group
>of enterprising folks that as W3BYM says, "Can Fix Anything".
>
>Keep me posted and if you need help, sign out, I will volunteer
>assistance.
>
>"Drive On"
>Jim
>WB2FCN
>

>Mark Cobbeldick wrote:
>

>>WOW !!!
>>
>>Thank you to everyone who responded via postings and private e-mails.
>>
>>In answer to Jim's [WB2FCN], I don't have any data on the radios...yet.
>> Let me explain:
>>
>>     I work in the land mobile two-way radio field as a Product Support
>>Engineer & Master Technician at the factory in Lynchburg, Virginia.
>>One of my customers (...and an old ham friend) is the senior tech at
>>large marine dealer/service shop in Southern California.  The other day
>>while discussing a technical issue with a radio we got chatting about 2
>>MHz marine radios, and the old AM Radiotelephone rigs.  He mentioned
>>that he had a 20-foot shipping container's worth of the equipment
>>sitting in his warehouse, the business owner would love to get rid of!
>>He had pulled a couple of them out recently and they still worked OK!
>>...Would I be interested in 1, 2 or more of them?
>>
>>He is planning to move to Eastern Tennessee in the not too distant
>>future, and would not mind putting a few of them onto the moving truck
>>for me.  This is what prompted my question to the list.
>>
>>I have a somewhat special place in my heart for AM Phone, and 160
>>Meter/2 MHz marine radio.  When I was about six or seven, I converted
>>an old (tube) AM Band table radio up to 160m band and the lower portion
>>of the 2 MHz marine band.  The Loop Antenna was glued inside of the
>>pressed paperboard rear cover.  I wrapped several turns of insulated
>>hook-up wire around this loop antenna and ran it outside to a 100-foot
> [...]

<                      Bob Bethman - N0DGN
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| N0DGN AMRadio Manassas, VA    |    REAL Tube Radio and AM        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
|       Manassas Radio - Home of Homemade Kielbasa & Pirogi        |
+-------------------------------+----------------------------------+
| rbethman(at)comcast.net   \\ ~ ~ //      signal does *NOT* mean  |
|                           (/ @ @ /)      that everything is OK " |
|               <http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman>                |
| 1 BC-610I w/BC-614I,1 T-213/GRC-26 w/BC614I 1 '51 Collins R-390A |
| 1 '67 EAC R-390A, Heathkit DX-60, Apache, Mohawk, SX-101, HT-32A |
|           Amateur Astronomer - Celestron Nexstar 8               |
|             12" f5 Dob coming soon!  Being built                 |
|                  Meade ETX-60 (Got it back!)                     |
|               38 Deg 46.8' N - 77 Deg 28.5' W                    |
|   Opinions expressed are that of my own and do not necessarily   |
|         coincide with or represent those of ANYONE else          |