[AMRadio] Re: Converting old 1.8-4.0 MHz AM Marine Radios

Kim Elmore Kim.Elmore at noaa.gov
Fri Sep 10 10:20:50 EDT 2004

Thanks Dennis!

I figured that this must have been the case.  I have trouble imagining what
being a radio officer on a merchant ship must have been like in, say, the
70's. I've never seen any of the equipment, and I've read little about it.
 From what I've heard, it certainly wasn't a cushy or "romantic" job; most
had additional duties beyond simply manning the radio. A few were not
particularly good operators and had terrible CW skills -- it was simply a
job.  I've read about conditions around WWII in the QCWA Journal, and many
were nothing short of horrific. Most of what I hear about is CW, but I know
there had to be a fair bit of 'phone used, too, and I assume that most of
that was AM for quite a while.

It's hard to dig up much of the history of this after WWII, either about
day-to-day operations or equipment used.  Does anyone have a good source or
reference?

73,

Kim Elmore, N5OP