[AMRadio] O-Scope Recommendation

Jim candela jcandela at prodigy.net
Fri Sep 17 08:08:22 EDT 2004

Mr. Bill,

	I have a Tek 465 here and love it! After about 4 years I lost my CRT
(filament opened up). A search proved interesting and fruitless. It seems
that if somebody takes a good CRT out of an otherwise bad scope, they will
market it for nearly the cost of a used 465. I found a used 465 on Ebay that
was incomplete (missing the H-sync pcb) but had a CRT. I emailed the seller
to check the CRT filament and he did (about 12 ohms). I got the scope for
$24.00 + shipping, and the CRT worked perfect in my scope.

	With old Tektronix scopes you sometimes need a donor scope for repairs
since some of the parts are scarce.

I also found a Tek 2225 on Ebay for $150.00 Buy it now. I bought the scope
and this turned out to be perfect. This is an early 80's Tek with a 50 Mhz
vertical bandwidth. These scopes have lots of ic's that cannot be replaced
easily due to scarce parts availability (must have a donor scope) whereas
the Tek 465 / 475 series have mostly discreet transistors in sockets.

Regards,
Jim
WD5JKO