[AMRadio] RE: Testing Transmitting Tubes

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Mon Sep 20 13:13:46 EDT 2004

A point of clarification, the high-end Hickok tube testers will test many transmitting tubes. 807, 1625, 811A, 6146, 801A, 809, 826, 829 and many others. I have a Hickok 752A and use it all the time for these tubes. I hear that the Hickok 539-series also works. 

But higher power tubes are more problematic, with plate voltages in the 1000-2500 volt range. For these larger tubes, I just have a sense that there is a creative and easier solution here that I am missing.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT

-----Original Message-----
From: Merz Donald S 
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 10:20 AM
To: 'Amradio (E-mail); 'Baswaplist' (E-mail); 'Glowbugs (E-mail)
Subject: Testing Transmitting Tubes

Has anyone built a transmitting tube tester? Or seen any plans on the web? The only thing I have seen on this subject is the issue of GE Ham News that covers the subject (Vol 6, #3, May/June, 1951). I have some power supplies I can use to run the static test. But I need to build something to hold the tube sockets, filament transformers and plate current meter. I hate to reinvent the wheel and would be happy to follow a pre-existing design if I could find one...

Any ideas?

73, Don Merz, N3RHT
The information contained in this e-mail may be confidential and is intended solely for the use of the named addressee.
Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any information contained therein by any other person is not authorized.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify us immediately by returning the e-mail to the originator.(B)

More information about the AMRadio mailing list

This page last updated 18 Dec 2017.