[AMRadio] UPDATE: Testing Transmitting Tubes

Merz Donald S merz.ds at mellon.com
Tue Sep 21 15:26:39 EDT 2004

Well, here's where I am with this...

-- The guy who built the tester that AES is using says that he has some information on that unit that he will pass along.

-- Another guy says that he has built an adapter for the Tektronix 577 curve tracer for transmitting tubes. He says that he will write this up for Electric Radio.

-- Two guys said that they built custom testers for the 4CX250 tube. One of them was expanded to test other tubes and was demo'ed at Dayton. The other was used in the guy's job. No details seem to be available for either of these.

-- I checked the AWA index and found only one reference to testing transmitting tubes. It's a 50 word mention on page 21 of Volume 22, number 1. There is one diagram. The test the guy is proposing is a minimal emissions test using a known good tube as a reference. He does this for triodes only using AC both on the filament and on the plate & grid (which are connected together). It has the virtue of being simple. But it hasn't many other virtues.

-- Finally, there is the e-mail below from the AWA's Ed Gable. This seems to be closest to the lines along which I am thinking--a scaled down emission tester.

The GE Ham News Hartley oscillator tester is more complicated than I want to get into. And the Ham News static tester is very similar to the AWA tester described below.

So this is where I am headed, though still open to better ideas. Keeping it simple, so triodes only at this point.

73, Don Merz, N3RHT