[AMRadio] Gates BC250L efficiency

Donald Chester k4kyv at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 28 18:32:41 EDT 2004

I moved my BC1-T from 1230 kc to 160m, by proportionally scaling back the
fixed capacitances in the PA tank circuit (both loading and plate tuning
caps), readjusting the rotary and fixed inductors, and  getting the grid
drive up to normal, and efficiency is about the same or  better  than it was
on the BC band.

I replaced the PA grid/driver plate coil wound on the bakelite form with
similar Miniductor coil stock and got a big boost in grid drive when I moved
it to 160.  On 1230 it would make about 90 ma grid drive, but now I can get
140 mills with full plate voltage, and 165 ma with plate voltage off.

Don K4KYV