[AMRadio] Re: Gates BC250L efficiency

Brett gazdzinski Brett.gazdzinski at mci.com
Wed Sep 29 11:06:47 EDT 2004

Efficiency is often a function of the tank circuit Q.
Lower Q often gives more efficiency.

It can be quite dramatic if you are far off.
Grid bias needs to be way beyond cutoff, and with a
lower Q, efficiency should go up.

I did some experiments on the push pull 812 rig when it was done.
I was getting 200 watts out of it, until I shorted 2 or 3 turns
on the final coils.
Power went up 50 watts!
I removed the turns to prevent weird stuff going on, but still
only got the 250 watts out, so the shorted turns were not
causing problems in my application.
Maybe try shorting some tank coil turns as a test and see what happens.

If you left a lot of turns in the coil, your Q could be above 20 or more.

>From memory, a Q of 15 is 'normal'.
A Q of 12 should be ok, who has harmonics these days?

Brett
N2DTS