[AMRadio] Re: Home Brew

ne1s ne1s at neandertech.com
Wed Sep 29 13:02:45 EDT 2004

Cathode modulation works best with triode RF finals. With testrodes you end
up with mostly grid modulation because of the (much) higher gain of the
grid-cathode circuit. The 50's handbooks (Left Coast & ARRL) explain this. I
presume high-mu trodes probably have the same issue.

Last spring I experimented with a grid modulator (inserted in the cathode
circuit) of a class C 807 PA. Worked well, but only about 7W of carrier out
(about what you'd expect from an "efficiency-modulated" 807).

73,
 -Larry NE1S