[AMRadio] Hallicrafters SX-24 coil winding information

Bill Fondren bill.fondren at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 18 12:10:09 EDT 2005

I need help     I have a old Hallicrafters SX-24 that the broadcast band coils, both osc and antenna coils are gone. For some reason the mice only got those 2 coils and the old set works pretty good on all the other bands so I would like to wind new coils and get the broadcast band working. My GDO does not have the BC band on it so its no help.  I installed a universal osc coil that seem to work but I cant seem to get the ant coil right.  I have used formulas on the web and get about the same number of turns for the windings.  The coils are wound on 3/4" form, the tuning cap is 440 mmfd. with 4 mmfd of trim across it.  I am using 34 gauge wire and the formulas I used says to use 130 turns for the secondary of the ant coil.  I used about 50 turns for the input coil.
Any help or suggections would be appreciated.  I also have the HT-9 transmitter and would like to get the  1939 station back on the air.    Thanks    Bill Fondren   K5PML