[AMRadio] How can we rid the HF bands of AM ?

Bob Bruhns bbruhns at erols.com
Sun Aug 7 02:47:51 EDT 2005

Hi Geoff,

Oh yes, Johnston was infamous. He was Chief of the
FCC's Personal Radio Branch for years, and he was
adamantly against AM. A 1980's lawsuit from K1MAN
didn't make Johnston any nicer, either.  I think that
Johnston's lifelong ambition was fulfilled in June of
1990, when despite the strongest negative response ever
seen on any amateur issue, he reduced the permissible
power of AM in the name of progress, using every
political obfuscation available.  Yes, he was a Real
Man... (Actually, he was a Real Jerk.)

You can read about it in the AM Press/Exchange from
that era.  Almost every issue up until June 1990 had
something about the new amateur regulations, and there
were recaps in later issues.  I happened to check the
following ones, and they will get you started:

http://www.amfone.net/AMPX/ampx.htm

Issue #59 About new rules
Issue #79, ARRL Voted to support AM
Issue #85, Comment results