[AMRadio] Re: How can we rid the HF bands of AM ?

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 16:21:15 EDT 2005

W4AWM at aol.com wrote:

> how do we get the old "KW Input" for AM back now?
> probably impossible..

>You might start with your congresspersin.

The FCC guy gave up on trying to get AM off the bands, quoting the same
thing, and we're still here.

Calling up your congress-critter might not be a bad idea, but what are
we effectivly going to use to argue that we -need- to have 1kWDC input
to the final, these days?

If there's an emergency, you -certainly- won't be totin' yer RCA BTA1R
out to a tornado/hurricane/(un)natural disaster site to setup emergency
communications... and the remote site surely doesn't lend itself well to
the kind of power requirements needed by an AM transmitter of any heft.

The way *I* see it, we only lost 500w.  Run your AM rig at 500w DC input
to the final, and let the audio fall where it may.
Perhaps some of the guys on the air will get more interested in making
their final more efficient - find better ways to modulate their rigs -
get some of the trashier sounding rigs off the air, by -helping- that
ham with working on -his- rig.  Get the ol' commraderie going, again.

I can build stuff... I just need to have someone around to talk to, joke
with, laugh at.. er, with (hehe) .. I'm just not a good self-motivator.
Besides, working a project together is what fosters friendships and
forges bonds that keep you tied in a hobby together, for a lifetime.

Speaking of which, Patrick... you ever get your General Class license?
I can't -wait- to hear some of that Big Iron you've got up there, on the
air.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR