[AMRadio] Re: How can we rid the HF bands of AM ?

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Aug 7 18:15:07 EDT 2005

Jim Wilhite wrote:

> My point exactly Geoff:  PEP is a calculation for most hams who don't
> have a scope (most don't).  Input is a different story.  RMS reading
> can be taken off meters with a single tone signal and using the plate
> voltage times the current gives you a 10% (depending on the meters and
> shunt) accuracy.
>
> This, however, is not true of PEP, as you have so aptly pointed out.
> Even today's PEP wattmeters are not that accurate (better than in the
> past, but not good enough).
>
> After all who really understands that when calculating the RF safety
> margins, use of 33 1/3% duty cycle for SSB  is appropriate?

Well, seriously -  as the man said, petitioning the FCC for more RF
power out for Ham Radio operators is like screwing for virginity.

I understand fighting to preserve freedom, but the analogy is lost in
translation by the tree-huggers, hippy's, love-children, etc... when
they say that fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.

It was kinda neat however, glomming the websites for the San Fransisco
event a month ago, where a bunch of women protested the war, with their
"Boobs, not Bombs" slogan, and showed up, topless, someplace downtown
San Fransisco.  (where else  ~sigh~ )

(don't ask me for the url - google knows.  ;-))

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR