[AMRadio] Re: How can we rid the HF bands of AM ?

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Mon Aug 8 03:08:02 EDT 2005

peter markavage wrote:

>Don't see this as "silly" but as imperative, or something similar to it,
>as vital to the amateur radio service as we move further into the 21st
>century.
>But, to get back to the real thread, Don, KYV, said it about as clear as
>you can get it:
>"Run a certain plate voltage and load the transmitter enough that plate
>voltage multiplied by plate current calculates to 1000 watts.  Carefully
>watch the scope so that the negative modulation peaks just barely
>approach
>baseline, and make sure the positive peaks do not show evidence of
>flat-topping.  Simple laws of physics"
>It's not rocket science.
>
>Pete, wa2cwa

Patrick was speaking of legalities.  I'm sure all of us here, know how
to load a rig to a kW.

What he's asking is:

How do we go about getting our old '1kW DC Input to the final' rating
back from the Feds?

And, as noble as that sounds, I'm afraid that you'd have a better chance
of picking up a 250TH
at your local corner store market.  You know, the one that has a
tube-tester in it?

Just like those days of tube testers in the local stores, so too are the
days of running a legal 1kW
DC input power level gone.

---
73 = Best Regards,