[AMRadio] BPL, ARRL on NPR Morning edition Tuesday

w9gt at comcast.net w9gt at comcast.net
Wed Aug 17 16:25:08 EDT 2005

The "phone companies" are not just wire line companies any more!! They are not just interested in wire and wireless services, but getting fiber optics to your house.  With fiber, you can have nearly unlimited bandwidth that can provide telephone, data (high speed internet service), video (replace CATV), and perhaps many other new services that they haven't even thought of yet.  The power companies want a piece of the pie, but they are just kidding themselves if they think they can compete wth a garbage service like BPL.  It is , by far, a technically inferior service.  It also , unlike any other "landline based services", has the potential to create damaging interference to existing licensed RF-based services on the HF spectrum.

If the power companies were smart (??) they would use their ride-of-ways to build fiber optic backbones.  They could also partner with telecom companies to provide services at competitive prices instead of causing disruption and discourse!!!

Just my 2 cents worth as a 35 year veteran of the telecom business.

73,
Jack, W9GT