[AMRadio] Re: KD5OEI

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Wed Aug 17 19:37:33 EDT 2005

yeah I can be a curmudgeon. But I didn't get the link between the CB lingo
and the tech license.

I was touchy about the meaning of the term. Gee, is that how people see the
technician licensees (the 'old' meaning, i.e. ex-CBers et al)?

I think of the CB and the ham radio as two completely different things. The
only thing in common is the kind of transport. But that's because I look at
them from an electronics-minded person's somewhat sterile point of view.
Politicially or socially other implications may exist.

When I want to get on the CB, I fire up the Realistic TRC-458 on 19 and
check out the truck stop chatter. I'm near the intersections of two major
interstates. It is the CB radio.

When I want to get on the ham radio, I fire up the Alinco DR-135 and look
for the DARC repeater or the MARS net if it is on, or maybe the old Kenwood
TS-430 and try to listen to some AM. Those are the ham radios.

oh well.

PJ