[AMRadio] Re: Choke calculations

Patrick Jankowiak recycler at swbell.net
Sun Aug 21 18:12:56 EDT 2005

Now THAT is the key to happiness!

Since we might wish to also measure the inductance of a choke with some
amount of DC current flowing through it, does anyone have an idea how to do
this?

In an example of a 10H choke, which would have 3768 ohms impedance, how
would I pass 0.5 amp through it's 80 ohms of DC resistance without messing
up the impedance measurement method?

To me the obstacle looks like the issue of the power supply feeding the
choke having a very low impedance compare to the measurement value to be
made. Add to this the desire for a range of 0.1 to 100H and it's a real
issue, at least from a calibration standpoint.

I am certain some one on this list has done this before. It has to have
been done in the choke factories of olden times!

Patrick