[AMRadio] Re: AM Audio

Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Tue Aug 23 05:53:29 EDT 2005

Patrick Jankowiak wrote:

> Hmm.. 100mA for the pair; Maybe 3300V-3400V?

yeah, I'm think 3200v, m'self...  but that was then.  Now, it's more
like around 2500v

> If so, you should not be short on modulating power ;)
>
> Question is, how do you deal with the large DC voltage difference
> across the mod xfmr? is this not a risk?

even still, 2500v of potential difference -is- pretty severe, but all
seems to be working quite nicely, so as long as I don't prolongedly
holler into the mic, and keep the audio level at some 400% for a full
minute or two, I think it'll be alright.

That difference of potential, is because there's 2500VDC on the primary
of the modulation transformer, and 0VDC on the secondary.
The transformer in question is out of a T-368.  It's potted and sealed.

--
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR