[AMRadio] Johnson Viking Valiant Modulation Transformer

Paul Baldock pbaldock at verizon.net
Sun Aug 28 11:08:47 EDT 2005

I'm renovating a Valiant. I've made the usual audio chain mods to improve
the frequency response.

However, when I monitor the modulated wave form on a scope I notice that as
you take the audio lower in frequency that the modulation gets distorted.
Its OK down to about 500Hz, but below that gets progressively worse. The
drive to the 6146 modulators is reasonably distortion free.

Is this a feature of the original modulation transformer? Is a better
transformer available?

Thanks

Paul - KW7Y