[AMRadio] AM Exemption Already Drawing Fire

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 21:25:35 EST 2005

peter markavage wrote:

>Did you actually count how many "different" people actually commented on
>these 50 pages? These "rejectors" of the proposal account for less than
>.1%  of the ham population. Show me better numbers and I'll have some
>sympathy for your concern. Teller's comments also are almost three years
>old. The proposal has gone through several iterations since then. Some of
>the alternative proposals that are now being proposed on QRZ by these
>ARRL proposal "rejectors" actually could provide much more harm to AM.
>The ARRL proposal actually preserves our legacy mode out to 9KHz.
>
>Pete ,wa2cwa

Let me get a show of hands...
how many people in here can accuratly measure their AM Rigs PEP output
power?

Now, how many of you abide by the 1500w PEP output limit, as set by law?

I don't have my hand up, either.

How many of us can accuratly measure how wide our signal is?

I don't have that kind of equipment, either.  How am I going to know if
I'm in violation of the 9kHz bandwidth ruling, if/when it comes into effect?

I thin that seriously, If I were to build a sharp band-pass filter, that
rolls the audio off at 4.5kHz, sharply, I might be hard-pressed to find
a device that could fill that filter.  I don't think I've got any audio
on my rig, wider than around 5 or maybe 6kc, of frequency response.

At least no one has ever accused me of being 'broad' (signal wise, that
is ;-))

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR