[AMRadio] mike hu-m-m-m-m problem

W3CRR w3crr at aerialacts.com
Mon Dec 5 15:00:48 EST 2005

Many thanks for your very detailed and useful reply, Jim.  I was sorta
hoping this could be dealt with with a wad of aluminum foil, but.... :-) .

I just read a broadcast engineering publication review of a couple of
Heil mikes. Sonic quality and "value for money" ratings were high -- but
the reviewer did register a complaint that these Heil models did not
incorporate a hum bucking coil and were, consequently, prone to noise
pickup from nearby power supplies. Simply moving the mike far enough
away from the hum source cured the problem, but that's not always feasible.

I do have a roll of 4-inch wide Mu metal, so I could fashion shielding,
if need be and I'll look into the more complex solutions you recalled if
I must.

However, I did, in fact, buy a good old D-104 from an eBayer this
morning just in case all else fails :-) .  Every vintage shack should
display one anyway.

73,

Craig
W3CRR