[AMRadio] AM Exemption Already Drawing Fire

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 5 21:32:06 EST 2005

David McClafferty wrote:

>--- W5OMR/Geoff <w5omr at satx.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Wouldn't it be a horrible thing if we wind up like
>>Canada is, now, where
>>we can only run FCC type-accepted equipment?
>>

>>-Geoff
>>

>Why would we run FCC type accepted equipment? The FCC
>has no authority in Canada.
>Canadian hams who have their Advanced license can
>build their own transmitting equipment. Lower classes
>can only use commercially built transmitting equipment
>but that now also includes commercially made kits.
>
>Dave, VE1ADH

Forgive my 'arrogant American' way of thinking.. It's just word
association.  'FCC type accepted' is a common phrase.

Down here, regardless of license class, American hams do -not- have the
restriction of using only Commercially built transmitting equipment.  I
thank those fore-fathers who wisely kept that decision, as the spirit of
that statement is intended to foster the experimenter in us like-minded
individuals.

I can see where the incentive is, as far as the Canadian version of the
FCC is concerned - upgrade your license class, so you can build your
own.  At the same time, I can see where it would stifle the imagination,
and further segregate hams within their own fraternity.

I think I'd prefer to have things the way they are, here in America -
anyone who becomes a Licensed Ham Radio Operator should be able to
build, test and operate their own home-brewed equipment.

---
73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR