[AMRadio] Valiant and Loop progress

Anthony W. DePrato wa4jqs at mikrotec.com
Mon Dec 5 23:58:11 EST 2005

>A trap dipole would be nice, but I have never found anything that holds up
>AM at any but the lowest power levels.
>
>I normally run about 300 watts carrier on 40 and 600 watts carrier on 80.

I ran Rayco traps for years on AM with my Globe Champion 350A  and never
had any problems. still used them when i went to ssb . most traps are not
rated for HIGH AM power. I think around 400 watts max if i recall . the ant
worked very well on 80 and 40  and was 108 ft long.
I have used a dual band dipole on 80 and 40 with good results. but used 75
ohm coax to match the dipole feed point instead of 50 ohm.
the G5RV works but you need at least 40 ft to keep the twin lead in the air.
have you thought about  a delta loop ? i would suggest that you get a
couple of OLD antenna books and check out some of the older antenna's that
were used in the 50's and 60's  still some great performers listed. or Bill
Orr's book on wire antenna's.
Good Luck
73 Tony WA4JQS