[AMRadio] Valiant and Loop progress

W5OMR/Geoff w5omr at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 7 12:08:14 EST 2005

Barry Sherwood wrote:

>Yep Geoff used aluminum ground wire bought at rat
>shack to wind the coil with. Probably cannot get that
>at rat shack any more either!

I don't know if it's still available, but a couple of decades or so,
ago, my dad built up a 2-element VHF Quad, for DF work, out of aluminum
clothesline wire.

Probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 3/16" ~ 1/4" diamater -
self-supporting... he use a couple of peices of plexi-glass for element
supports, and one end of the plexi for the feed-point.  Worked well.

Years later (about 3 ago, now) I used a 2-elemnt quad on 17m SSB, and
worked the world on it.  Not that I have ever been into hunting' DX, but
that quad would open the band, and put it to sleep and more often than
not, be one of the last stations heard from this area, with just 100w on
SSB.

I wish I had the room for a rotatable 2-element quad on 75m.

Failing the room to rotate, a remote coax switch on the reflector could
add/subtract lengths of line to change the direction of the f/b pattern.

lessee... 1005 / 3.9Mc = ~260' / 4 = ~ 65' per side.  There would have
to be a pair of  100' tall supports, with a bridle to hold up the  top
part of the elements, and spaced at about 65 electrical degrees @ 3.9Mc
would put the towers at around 45 1/2' apart...

hey, while I'm dreaming, why not have two of those setups?  one for the
East/Northeast and the other for the West/Northwest. ;-)

I'm rather centrally located here, in South Central Texas.

I did dream up a multi-band, 2-element phased Quad array.   I've never
had the opportunity to put it up and test it, but I think it'd work fine.

Tell me what you think
w 5 o m r    d o t    s h a c k n e t   d o t   n u  slash  ~ w 5 o m
r    s l a s h    h a m s t u f f   s l a s h   Q u a d

w5omr.shacknet.nu/~w5omr/hamstuff/Quad

there's no www... just http://

---
73 = Best Regards,